Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

More from 'Filtered Light' - Heikki Hietala

This is how Filtered Light and other stories opens:
*
(a real good opening, I think...sets the tone...)


And here is an excerpt for you:


Add to that, these blurbs from the collection…


The Photo Opportunity: Sometimes the best photo doesn't exist.
Flash in the Pan: The brittle crack of ice, a flutter of wing, the price of hubris…
The Campsite: Vol. I – Forssa: When you see into his world, what does that say about you?
The Wind in the Pipes: Voices in atonal harmonies, released but not yet free.
Yessirree: There's nothing like it … nothing.
Carbon-Based: What you are is sometimes a matter of perspective.
Les Feuilles Mortes: Sometimes the music helps us see.
Lord Stanton’s Horse: Not everyone falls in battle.
The Dispatchers: Did you ever wonder who decides?
The Farewell Tour: Saying goodbye isn’t easy.

...and you know you must read this book!


Available here


4 comments:

  1. Hi Elaina,

    first, many thanks for doing this to spread the word!

    It's good to see you liked the Khayyam ruba'is. I am a long-time fan, indeed since my early teens, of him, and I have used some the quatrains also in my novel, Tulagi Hotel.

    To me, Khayyam encapsulates the essence of being human, a transient but sentient flutter in the stream of time and space. In this collection, you have "The Ephemeral Man", which I wrote based on the real-life character of Khayyam, the mathematician-astronomer-physician that he was.

    Again, I hope you will find the collection worthy of your reading effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heikki, definitely worthy of my reading effort. And I hope to get more readers aboard! Sometimes one comes across a read which serves to resonate- PD Allen's work does that...and so does this. Every success with it, and with Tulagi Hotel.

    PS: Loved the Khayyam ruba'is- I don't know of him (until now), but I shall investigate after this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks once again! And for the complete Rybaiyyat, look no further:

    http://www.therubaiyat.com/ has all the four major editions, and I used this a my reference for Tulagi's sections involving his poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I've copied a fair bit to read at leisure :)

    ReplyDelete