Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Debut: Casablanca My Heart

Ever have I thought cities and places strange to us on our world is akin to visiting another time and space. This book from Hannah Warren fits in there, and is thus part of our Multiverse! Read the excerpt below- you will agree...

Casablanca, 15 July 2006


As if handling a box of crystal glasses, my father manoeuvres mother’s wheelchair through the corridors of Ibn-Rochd University Hospital towards the exit. The patient holds a bouquet of soft pink gardenias on her lap, blowing kisses to the people who have come to say goodbye to her. In her five hospitalised days she has made more new friends among staff and patients than most people make in their entire lives, though it is doubtful that any of them know Mrs Lalla Hafeza Tourniquet is actually one of the hospital’s superintendents. My mother is always modest about the executive positions she holds in Casablanca’s society.

Cassia clasps the wheelchair’s armrest, skipping cheerfully by its side. She enjoys all the attention, attracting a fair share herself by following her grandmother’s example and waving wildly to the public. Her mimicry turns her into a cute, miniature version of her much adored grandmama. The faces we pass show they are touched by the scene, and all eyes are drawn to the two ladies. I realise the power of glamour has been passed down to my daughter, both through the genes of her grandmother and through those of her own mother. When it is her time to shine, the cameras will love Miss Cassia Tourniquet!

“Jean, can you give me my sunglasses? They must be in my bag.” My mother half turns around to address my father. “I am afraid the sun will be too bright after this subdued atmosphere.” My father stops pushing the wheelchair and rummages in my mother’s handbag, but he does not seem to be able to find them.

Jedda, you can have mine.” Cassia fishes out a pair of Mickey Mouse sunglasses and offers them to her grandmother.

“Oh, darling, I could not accept those. They are yours. You will need them yourself.”

“Oh, no, no, I don’t need them, jedda. I only have a plaster on my knee. You have one on your heart and Daddy says that’s a lot worse.”

My mother smiles and takes the sunglasses from her. “In that case, habibti, I am extremely honoured to wear your glasses. Thank you.” After gently bending the arms, my mother sets the toy glasses with the round black ears on her nose. “Let’s go,” she says. “I am more than ready to take on the whole world again.”


Casablanca My Heart by Hannah Warren
Available in print from Amazon US and Amazon UK
and as eBook from Amazon US and Amazon UK


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this, Elaina. My words look beautiful on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always LOVED reading about exotic places! You're very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captivating excerpt. You have tweaked my curiosity. Johannes Gouws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful opening Hannah and congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a marvellous book – the excerpt posted is enough to tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to see such a response! Hannah is smiling, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone. I'm a little overwhelmed, I must admit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A story in Casablanca sounds wonderful. And your excerpt is divine.

    ReplyDelete